These bulletins are written by ETFO Professional Relations Services’ staff and are designed to keep members informed on a variety of important legal and professional issues impacting on education workers.
Here are some of the areas in which PRS staff provides support to ETFO members:
- Teacher Performance Appraisals (TPA), Designated Early Childhood Educators (DECE) Performance Appraisals (DPA), Professional Support Personnel (PSP)/Educational Support Personnel (ESP) Evaluations and Occasional Teacher Evaluations
- Annual Learning Plans/Professional Learning Plans
- CAS/Criminal allegations related to employment responsibilities
- Difficulties with students, other staff, parents and school administrators
- Duty to Report and obligations under the Child and Family Services Act
- Ethics and professionalism
- Ontario College of Teachers (OCT) complaints
- College of Early Childhood Educator (CECE) complaints
- Continuous Professional Learning Program (CPL)
- Employment Insurance (EI)
- Maternity and parental leaves
- Human Rights/Harassment/Discrimination
- Long Term Disability (LTD)
- Resignations and terminations
- Return to work/accommodation issues
- Mental health and sick leave
- Professional Judgement
- Workplace Safety and Insurance Board matters (WSIB)
- Health and Safety
- Conflict Resolution
- Professional Boundaries
CAS/Criminal Allegations If you are contacted by the police or Children’s Aid Society (CAS) regarding an allegation against you:
1. Do not participate in or consent to an interview.
2. Make no statement to anyone regarding the allegation/charges.
3. State that: “I am willing to cooperate but I am unable to comment until I contact my Federation and legal counsel.”
4. Call your local at 613-221-9135 or your president, David Wildman, directly at 613-292-6007 OR 5. Call ETFO Professional Relations Services staff at 416-962-3836 or 1-888-838-3836 and state that your call is urgent.